Smear test & anxiety

Girls, this post is for you. Especially those of you, who like me live with anxiety and have a smear test coming up.

SMEAR TEST! Do the words fill you with fear? At the start of the year they certainly did for me. So many questions, so much unknown. So much anxiety. Anxiety is extremely present in my life especially this past year (it has hit itself up a few notches) so I knew it would be present throughout this experience too. If only there was an on and off switch, that would be lovely but it isn't that simple.

Questions and thoughts running through my mind...'What will it feel like?'...'Will it hurt?'...'How long will it take?'...'What if I physically can't do it?'...'What if I move during it?'...'What if I jump up in the middle of it?'...'What if I close my legs shut during it?'. Like I said anxiety was present as usual. A lot of what ifs going through my mind. But I simply let those thoughts enter my mind, let them just be and they just left. Not very quickly but they left eventually.

I'm writing this post a good couple of months down the line from my smear test itself. I've since had the results and I'm normal...well got to be normal somewhere right?



A few things for you to remember about having your smear test, with anxiety along for the ride...

1. If it takes you more than 1 attempt it is absolutely fine. We aren't robots. We aren't programmed to go in, have it done and come straight back out again. It took me 3 attempts to have a sample taken. Just keep trying, trying is better than avoiding all together and you will get there eventually.

2. If you don't feel comfortable with your nurse then you have the right to swap to another nurse or doctor who you feel more comfortable with. It doesn't matter how many times you swap.

3. Be honest with your nurse/doctor. If you are scared it is ok to say so, they will do whatever they can to make the experience easier for you. Remember they do this over and over again, they are the pros.

4. If you've never had sex before they have a smaller sized speculum that can be used to make it a little more comfortable (not going to lie, none of it is exactly comfortable).

5. If you are worried and scared about it talk to others about your worries or even your nurse/doctor beforehand. There is always someone there to talk to and make it feel less scary.



I knew having a smear test wouldn't be easy for me. I was heading into the unknown but my nurse was amazing! She was really understanding and told me to never see my attempts as failures. So each time I booked in with her and each time I was a little bit more calmer. Third time lucky, some discomfort and pain but we were done. My nurse was that pleased for me she actually high fived me and hugged me on my way out. Find yourself an amazing nurse and you'll be good to go.

Infact surround yourself with the right kind of people in all aspects of life and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.

No comments